Monday, February 20, 2006

Luther

I think in heaven the first couple I want to hang out with is Martin and Katie Luther. On one of the shelves of our church’s media centre was a book to loan called "Martin Luther had a wife." Curiosity struck me by the title, and I’ve been reading it non-stop ever since. I don’t think I’ve laughed out loud so many times reading a book before. Martin and Katie were a really funny couple…here are some of my favourite quotes so far:

Luther: "All my life is patience… I have to be patient with the Pope, I have to be patient with the heritics, I have to be patient with my family, and I even have to be patient with my wife Katie"

Luther: "But think of all the squabbles Adam and Eve must have had in the course of their 900 years…Eve would say "You ate the apple" and Adam would retort "You gave it to me!"

"In the monastery Luther had been accustomed to being secluded, but Katie wouldn’t stand for that. According to one story, he once locked himself in his study for three days until Katie had the door removed. Innocently, Martin asked as he saw Katie in the doorless doorway "Why did you do that? I wasn’t doing any harm"

Luther: "Before I married, no one had made my bed for a whole year"
_________________________________
CLINT’S CONTRIBUTION:
Ok, so I officially recant for mocking all those annoyingly ignorant Americans who asked me over and over (as if a national memo had circulated conspiring against me) if in Africa we had monkeys in our gardens and animals walking in the streets. Last week my Timberwolf-Alsatian puppy and I had equally incredulous looks on our faces as we met our first vervet monkey. Yes, we were in our back garden, where I have also seen a snake and innumerable frogs 9a la Exod 10). A day later I had to rescue our kitten from the hungry glare of a crested eagle who was opportunistically perched in a tree in our front garden. And I once had to swerve from our main road to dodge roaming cattle. Taking a walk with a congregant on a golf course I saw several species of deer and was warned about crocodiles in the water traps. One would swear we were living on a Hollywood set for Tarzan. In Africa we think nothing is real unless Hollywood acknowledges it in a film. In LA people think what Hollywood represents is reality. I don’t know which is more bizarre: that Americans think there are animals in our gardens, or that there actually are animals in our gardens!

FYI, for those of you who know Jesse Johnson, or Diedre Shannon, they both got engaged on Sunday. What a coincidence.

1 comment:

Ben and Melissa James said...

Actually it is spelled Deidre Shannon or soon to be Deidre Johnson...you'd better get it right!