Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn a real live pumpkin into 2 pumpkin pies made from scratch, tons of baby food, and my aunts famous "yams and apples" before Thanksgiving.

The gory pumpkin guts (my kitchen rarely looks like Martha Stewart's when I cook, it usually looks like a bomb went off, flour everywhere, sugar strewn across the counters, but it all gets cleaned up eventually!)



Tada!

So South Africans usually don't have a clue what Thanksgiving is. More often than not I hear "isn't Thanksgiving the same as Christmas?" So they don't sell things like pumpkin in a can, or frozen pumpkin pies, or anything of that nature. So I made my first pumpkin pie from scratch. Even the crust! I must admit, it was a heck of a lot of work...cutting up the pumpkin, boiling it, pureeing it, and making my own crust....but the results were amazing. I've never had pumpkin pie so good! So fresh tasting, yummy! I highly recommend trying it.

We went over to some American missionaries house for Thanksgiving this year. The Ferran's started coming to our church for a few months until they were moved to a more Zulu area to learn the language more efficiently. But we met up for Thanksgiving, along with their other American missionary friends, it was great fellowship! And together we made all the traditional food, Turkey, stuffing, the works!

I'm thankful for my family!

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 107:1
Thanksgiving is still one of my favorite holidays cause there is no "confusion" with all the commercial-ness behind it. The true meaning of the holiday is still there. Thanking God for his good gifts, especially GREAT food and family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i've always wanted to make pumpkin pie from scratch! but never had the guts to so good for you!

The Mom said...

That's what my kitchen looked like on Thanksgiving day! he he he, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! Do you have a food processor? I usually prefer to make my own pie crusts, but it's always so messy! But, this year I learned how to make it in a food processor, so simple and it makes a great crust!! Let me know if you want the recipe...